Happenings at our Point Defiance ~ Ruston Senior Center
If you want to stay cool in the Dog Days of Summer…consider attending a class (or more) at our Senior Center. As a note, the Senior Center will be closed on the 4th of July, but reopen on Friday at its usual time (9:00 a.m.). July is full of new classes and events, so come on in and have some fun!
- Genetic Testing – Tuesday, July 2 at 10:00 a.m. This is a simple swab test that most insurances will cover.
- Ballroom Dance – This free class begins on Wednesday, July 3 at 11:10 a.m. and will continue on July 3, 10 and 17.
- Gardening with Carol – Saturday, July 6 and 27 at 11:00 a.m. This is an interactive gardening class taught by a Master Gardener.
- Acupuncture – Mondays at 12:30. You will need approximately 45 minutes for your treatment. The cost is $10, payable to the practitioner at the time of service.
- Mark Stern – Returning on July 12, at 11:10 a.m. Mark will entertain you and provide music by which to dance.
- Hamburger Friday – At noon following Mark Stern (July 12). Hamburgers, French fries and banana splits will be served. Cost for lunch is $3.50.
- Verrazanos Italian Restaurant – Saturday, July 13, the bus leaves from the Senior Center at 11:30 a.m. We’ll get a taste of Italy. Cost is $5.00 (does not include lunch).
- Shared Housing – Low income housing is becoming more and more difficult to locate without getting on a long waiting list. On, Tuesday, July 16, Juleeann Fisher will be at the Senior Center discussing this important topic at 11:00 a.m.
- Rhine River Presentation – The presentation for our 2020 trip down the Rhine River will be held on Wednesday, July 17 at 1:00 p.m. If you would like to find out more information about this trip, you will not want to miss this presentation!
- Soap Class – Always popular, our soap class will be taught on Friday, July 19 at 10:00 a.m. This is a free class and all supplies are provided.
- Casino Trips – If you like trying your luck at the casino, we have a couple of trips planned in July. On July 5, the bus leaves from the Senior Center at 8:30 a.m. for the Red Wind Casino ($5). Saturday, July 20 we’re off to the Little Creek Casino, also leaving the Center at 8:30 a.m. ($10). There are minimum numbers of participants that must sign up for these trips to happen, so sign up early to guarantee your spot.
- Mesh Wreaths – This is a unique class that has never been taught at the Center so get signed up early to guarantee your spot in class. Tuesday, July 30 at 10:30 a.m.
It is also time to thank our many wonderful volunteers for their service. We are having a pizza party just for the volunteers. Chuck’s now famous homemade pizza will be provided along with dessert. If you are volunteering now or have volunteered in the past year, please come on Saturday, July 27 at noon and let us say thank you!