Happenings at our Senior Center
As we march closer and closer to the holidays, it becomes important to save dates and make plans. Because of this, I wanted to get the November calendar and menu out to you as soon as possible. We have a lot going on and I hope you find some things of interest and time to join us!
Joeseppi’s Takeover! Don’t miss the Senior Center takeover of Joeseppi’s, a phenomenal locally owned Italian restaurant. This is a fundraiser for the Center on November 14, from 4:00 – 8:00 p.m. All you have to do is either come join us for dinner or take out a meal and we will receive 5-10% of the food cost (on that day, during those hours). Be sure to tell them that you are there for the Pt. Defiance~Ruston Senior Center. It’s a win-win for everyone! We’ll see you at 2207 N. Pearl St. on November 14 from 4:00-8:00 p.m.!
- Rite Aid Flu & Pneumonia Shots – If you have not gotten your immunizations, make time to come to the Senior Center on Tuesday, November 5. Flu and Pneumonia shots will be given starting at 11:00 a.m. Most people will not have to pay for them because the pharmacy will bill insurances.
- Dementia Class and Caregiver Support Group – The Dementia series will be wrapping up on Tuesday, November 5; however, a Caregiver Support Group will begin on Tuesday, November 19. If you are caring for family or friends, it’s important to find a support system for yourself. Please take this opportunity to care for the most important person. . .you. If you become tired and/or ill, you won’t be able to help anyone. Make yourself a priority!
- Holiday Greeting Cards – Join Betty Withrow for a holiday card class. It’s loaded with fun, creativity and you get to take home what you make. This class is on Thursday, November 7, at 10:30 a.m.
- Sock Snowmen – In this class, led by Chris Hall, you will make snowmen out of socks. How creative is that? They are very cute! Join us on Friday, November 8.
- Medicare – There will be two opportunities in November to ask question of knowledgeable individuals about Medicare. The first class is on Monday, November 11 and the second time is on Wednesday, November 20. Laurie Casas will lead both opportunities.
- Downsizing a Lifetime of Treasures – It’s hard to decide what to throw out when you are downsizing. Many items have sentimental value. Join Debbie Ryvo as she discusses downsizing on Thursday, November 14.
- Soap Class – Do you want to learn how to make soap? Perhaps you want to make soap to give as presents. Either way, you will be able to make soap and walk away with your creations. Betty Withrow instructs this class on Friday, November 15.
- Grief Support Group – Loss has many faces. It can be from a friend dying, moving out of a home you’ve lived in all of your life or it can be watching a parent’s health deteriorate and become a person you don’t recognize. Whatever the loss, it can be painful, but you do not have to go through it alone. On Wednesday, November 20, you can join in a grief group and get the support you need.
- Thanksgiving Party – The Senior Center Thanksgiving Party is on Thursday, November 21, starting at 11:10 a.m. with the Memorie Singers, There will be refreshments followed by a wonderful Thanksgiving Dinner. The entertainment is free and the lunch is a recommended donation of $3.00 for those 60 and over. It is $5.75 for those under 60.
- Bisque Ornaments – Join in the fun painting bisque ornaments. Betty Withrow will provide assistance with this class on Friday, November 22.
- Beeswax Candles – Beeswax candles look great at the holidays and Candy Gustafson will be available to help you make your candles on Monday, November 25.
- Senior Center CLOSURE – The Center will be closed on Thursday, November 28 for Thanksgiving. It will reopen on Friday, November 29 and all classes will be held as usual unless your instructor has told you otherwise.
Many of you know that we have an Alaskan Cruise coming up in May of 2020. Due to additional negotiations, we have acquired a lower price for the verandah staterooms. There will now be an almost $300 cost reduction for you to enjoy watching the scenery go by, visiting coastal towns and viewing the glaciers from your balcony. If you are interested in information on the amenities you will receive, please contact Kate or Candy at the Senior Center (253) 756-0601.
Save the date! Our holiday party in December will be on the 12th, starting at 11:10 a.m. You won’t want to miss this year’s party! See you there!