Happenings at the Point Defiance ~ Ruston Senior Center
Happy New Year to All! I am still in shock that 2019 is gone and that I’m now working on February’s calendar in 2020. But, with a new year comes new possibilities so let’s get started!
- AARP Tax Preparation: Our tax preparers’ join us again this year starting in February. They will be here every Friday and Saturday through April 15. This is a free service. For more information, please see the newsletter.
- Valentine Sachets: Learn how to make sachets to fill your home or office with their aromas. February 3; 10:30 a.m.
- Beginning Computer Class: If you want to learn the basics of computers, this is your class. Join us on February 5, at 10:00 a.m. Registration and fee.
- Tai Chi: Tai Chi returns to the Senior Center. This class will be offered on Mondays and Thursdays at no charge and starts at 9:00 a.m. Registration required.
- Cookie Decorating: Have some fun decorating cookies that someone else baked! February 7, at 10:30 a.m.
- Canning: Whether you are a novice or an expert, there is something for everyone. Besides making jams, and other goodies for you to take home, some of these classes provide canned items for the public as a community service. Please enjoy the class and help others at the same time! February 10 & 24, at 2:00 p.m.
- Gardening: Join Carol Heeren, Master Gardener, for gardening expertise and a hands-on experience. February 12, 12:30 p.m.
- Bob Johnson Valentine Concert: Bob Johnson will be playing the piano on February 14, at 11:10 a.m.
- Fiber Fun: The Tacoma Weaver’s Guild is hosting a fiber group on the third Tuesday of each month. Whether you are new to the fiber arts or have been working on them for years, Join them and learn and/or bring your crocheting, knitting, quilting, and other fiber arts to share and socialize with like-minded people. Educational components will be also be shared by the Guild.
- Caregiver Support Group: Jake Gamble leads a Caregiver Support Group on the third Tuesday of each month at 2:00 p.m.
- Winter Hats: Let’s make hats for the cold months ahead. February 19, at 10:30 a.m.
- Grief Support Group: Don’t go through loss alone. Kaylee Berry-Reich, a Social Worker, will be facilitating this group. Come find the support you need on February 19, at 1:00 p.m. This is a monthly group, meeting on the third Wednesday of each month.
- Acupuncture: Just a reminder that Acupuncture is offered weekly (Mondays) starting at 12:30 p.m. The cost is minimal, $10.00, for a certified acupuncturist.
If you did not see the dates/times of the aforementioned events, please check the attached calendar. Additionally, we have new programs starting in March so watch for the next calendar! In the meantime, come join us for a cup of coffee and good conversation!