W. W. Seymour Botanical Conservatory at Wright Park
In 1908, W. W. Seymour Botanical Conservatory at Wright Park opened through a generous gift from William W. Seymour. This historic glass conservatory, with its distinctive twelve-sided central dome, is listed on the City of Tacoma, Washington State and National historic registers.
Today, it stands a beloved icon from Tacoma’s past and a brilliant venue for exotic plant displays. The W. W. Seymour Botanical Conservatory is a Victorian-style conservatory. Its wings and twelve-sided central dome contain some 3,500 panes of glass. Six sculptures created by former conservator Clarence Deming rest among the plants and reflect African, Māori, and Aztec traditions. The conservatory contains more than 550 plant species in its permanent collection, including agapanthus, azaleas, bromeliads, cacti, clivias, cymbidium, epiphyllum, ferns, figs, more than 200 orchids, palms, and rhododendrons. It also contains a rotating exhibit of floral displays that generally features between 300-500 blooming plants at any given time.Back