Featured Apartment of the Month – Tobey Jones #351
Independent Living with Services
This one bedroom, one bathroom apartment has a kitchenette, large closet in the bedroom and a beautiful view of the campus. The monthly rent of $4,260 (no buy in) includes, meals, housekeeping, transportation and more.
- 3 wonderful, chef prepared meals a day
- Weekly housekeeping
- Transportation to and from doctor appointments and shopping
- Fitness classes and a 6,000 square foot Fitness Center
- Woodshop and Craft room
- Senior University with lifelong learning
- Kitchenettes with microwave and refrigerator
- Emergency call alert system
- Library, game room
- Secure entrances with easy call system for visitors
- Free reserved parking
- Free storage space (indoors) if available
Your needs are always a priority for us. For a tour or more information, please call Michelle Olafson or Shirley Robbins at 253-752-6621, or visit www.FrankeTobeyJones.com.
Tobey Jones Building Review by Resident Elaine Eppick
For most of us there comes a time to change our home. Perhaps it’s to be closer to a new grand baby or to avoid another harsh winter in Montana. Whatever the reason, change usually brings about decision making. I moved to Franke Tobey Jones to be near my Tacoma family.
FTJ is many things all situated on acres of a beautifully landscaped campus. I enjoy the scene from my windows. Many of the plantings were done a hundred years ago. The landscape is spectacular, especially now with the very old and large heather in full bloom. People enjoy walking here from the surrounding neighborhoods or from somewhere else, but most especially by the Tobey Jones residents.
I live in the Franke Tobey Jones Building for independent living. It was built in 1924 and has been tastefully modernized through that time. As the years have passed it has provided all the convenience of modern living. But what I enjoy most are the inhabitants. It is always a surprise and joy to learn about the talents, interests and life events that have shaped the residents. There is interesting and lively conversation here from mothers who raised four sons to school teachers and lawyers. And knowing how people enjoy conversation there are new things to bring smiles every day.
I rate Tobey Jones a 4.8 and I would make the same decision to have it be my home in a heartbeat.
Or you might be interested in….
Garden Apartments #305 – Independent Living
This 940 square foot, one bedroom, one bathroom apartment with den, has a full kitchen, fireplace and nice view of campus. It’s on the sunny side of the building. The monthly rent of $5,845 ($85K Entrance Fee) includes:
- Continental breakfast three days a week
- Happy Hour every Thursday
- Housekeeping twice monthly
- Maintenance of building exterior, all grounds and common spaces
- Activities and fitness classes, fitness machines and personal trainers
- FTJ Senior University
- Fully equipped kitchen
- In-apartment stackable washer and dryer
- Fire, burglary, emergency services monitored on-site
- Secured building
- Electricity (including A/C), gas, water, sewer, garbage, standard cable television, property taxes and building insurance
- One covered parking space per apartment is included
Enjoy an apartment home with all the conveniences and security of a Continuing Care Retirement Community (CCRC) campus. The Garden apartments, built in 2004, are one, two and two bedrooms plus den apartments with a well-appointed layout. They come fully equipped and provide the independence and support active seniors are looking for in retirement living, including a Concierge. Garden Apartment residents enjoy all of the benefits of Franke Tobey Jones residency and socialization, while providing a more private setting perfectly located near Point Defiance Park, the waterfront and downtown Tacoma.
- Kitchen with built-in full size range, microwave oven, dishwasher and garbage disposal
- Stackable washer and dryer
- Window blinds
- Storage area off deck or patio and storage space in the lower level of the building
- One parking space per apartment. Second parking space is $250 per month.
- Up to $25 Bistro Café credit per month/person
- Concierge Services with errand services
- Ten days FTJ Skilled Nursing benefit accrued over five years. (2 days per year x 5 years = 10 days) per apartment (not per person).
- Fireplaces in some apartments
- Maintenance of exterior, heating, ventilation, plumbing, electrical and security systems
- Use of all common area facilities, parlors, lounges
Garden Apartment Common Area Video
No video as this apartment is in complete renovation at the moment.
Garden Apartment Resident Review
From Karen Fischer
When choosing a retirement community I looked for one that was a non-profit entity. A non-profit does not have to raise prices to make sure shareholders get a dividend. It has been here in Tacoma for 90 years. The FTJ Board of Directors is unpaid. It is unique, not part of a nationwide or statewide chain. I live in the garden apartments, an independent living building. I know that as my needs change, I can move into an assisted living building.
The staff here are extraordinary. They are all polite, professional and competent. Whether I interact with housekeeping or maintenance staff or arrange with Food Service for a special meal event, they are caring people who go above and beyond. When I need a ceiling lightbulb changed or have a problem with the garbage disposal, the maintenance staff responds promptly and takes care of the problem.
My building has about 40 people. It is a congenial group who enjoys continental breakfasts together three days a week and a weekly happy hour. I can participate or not as I want. There are always scheduled activities on campus and a bus to take me to the Tacoma Symphony concerts. There are even waist high garden beds and a greenhouse for us gardeners.
In addition to being a nonprofit, having a great staff and an apartment I like, FTJ is located adjacent to Point Defiance Park, 700 acres with a zoo and several miles of hiking trails in old growth forest. I enjoy the magnificent gardens and feel like Lady Grantham as I browse among the roses and dahlias. Deer visit our campus daily and every spring there is a crop of new fawns. I could not have found a better place to retire to.
We will be opening 21 beautiful Memory Care suites this spring and are currently taking applications! Our Memory Care specializes in seniors with Alzheimer’s Disease and dementia. Our unique approach to memory care features a small group of residents who live together in a home-like setting with secured outside courtyards, many gathering spaces, 24 hour supervision and support. It is not necessary to live at FTJ first.
- Large private suite with en suite private bathroom/shower
- Multiple large gathering areas
- Private, secure outside courtyards
- Under the supervision of a licensed nurse, activity professionals and nursing assistants, each day is guided by our 24 hour staff, and daily routine is structured to maximize quality of life for each resident
- A licensed nurse is available to administer medications and assist with emergencies
- Program includes assistance with activities of daily living including medications, bathing and dressing to ensure that needs are met
- A variety of meaningful activities are designed to enhance residents’ strengths while bringing enjoyment to their days
- Residents can enjoy quiet times with other residents and staff in various indoor and outdoor community spaces
- Three delicious meals a day served family-style in the Memory Care dining room
- Weekly housekeeping; bed linens and towels are laundered and supplied weekly, and laundry room is available for personal use. FTJ can also launder personal clothes for a fee.
- Transportation to medical appointments five days a week
- Utilities include cable and local phone service
Family Member Review
My mother in law has lived for several years at the Franke Tobey Jones community, both in assisted living and now in memory care. We are so impressed with the care she has received. They are the best!